Race Sail/Power Captain
We have a need for a for a Sail / Power Captain with extensive racing experience. (seasonal position May - October 1st)
Please list all races that you were the full-time Captain in your resume submission.
- Private boats
- Flag Status: US
- Home Port – Area of Camden, Maine
- Total guests ranging from 1-2 and up to 5
- No owners live on board the vessel
- Our Customers enjoy a casual type of service but we treat them like they own a 200 ft. mega yacht. We are a very service oriented company! Who knows, they may end up buying a yacht someday and want us to run it
- Our clients are really nice people and just want to have a good time on their boat and feel safe.
- Our clients will use the sailboat for ½ and full day sails with family and friends, a few multi-day cruises (one possibly to Machias or Nova Scotia, one to the Portland area and one or two to Newport/Long Island/Nantucket) and a few overnights to places in Penobscot Bay or the Mt Desert area.
What we expect in a Captain:
- Sailing knowledge/expertise as that is a given. We expect the person to fully understand the boat systems and constantly checking the systems.
- The Captain needs to realize that the client is on vacation when on the vessel and often hosting guests aboard so he wants someone who is inviting, outgoing and generally looking after guests. This is all attitudinal and requires the Captain to see this as part of his/her job.
- Examples include: Making sure guests are looked after (“anyone cold?”, talking someone through their time at the wheel, “anyone need a drink?”, etc.), helping our clients with buying provisions, making sure the boat has full water and or fuel before they depart, making sure the boat is shipshape before guests arrive (as opposed to assuming a We expect daily maintenance such as deck hose and brush down, etc. after sailing), etc.
- Our clients love sailing and all the aspects of it. They get very excited about everything from navigation, weather forecasting, jumping in the water when needed to fix something, to setting/changing the sails. They don’t pretend to know everything and are always looking to improve and become better educated about sailing. The attitude of the Captain should be someone who enjoys sailing with them, sometimes teaching them something about the systems or an area of the map or a new harbor, or a trick of the trade in managing the sail inventory, but they want someone who really enjoys sailing and enjoys working as a team to sail the boat.
Captain Pay Rates / Pay Rates:
- Rates are based on experience
- We will provide polo shirts and a Captain’s vest
- Captains are responsible for providing their own raingear, shorts, pants, boots, shoes, etc.
What we are looking for:
- Previous race experience
- Captains must have a minimum of at least a 50-ton license with 5 years’ experience or they can hold a larger ton license and 3 years’ experience.
- White boat skills and professional sail experience is a MUST!
Racing: 3 years
Required licenses or certifications:
- Driver's License